To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Torrance, CA
Sorry, we cannot save this job right now.
Report this Job
Email Send Failed!
UPS Capital Senior SQL Server Database Engineer
UPS IT • Torrance, CA
Posted 10 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
UPS Capital is the financial services branch of the company, established to meet the financial needs of businesses while accelerating money and goods through their supply chains. By combining financial services with all other UPS capabilities, UPS Capital creates a key link in the UPS global commerce synchronization strategy.
The UPS Capital Senior SQL Server Database Engineer is responsible for the database design, implementation, maintenance, and management of the Enterprise data system. He/She provides leadership in technical infrastructure planning, guidance to staff on database systems and technical issues, and mentors team members in best practices. This position directs component and data architecture design, technology planning, and testing for Applications Development initiatives to meet business requirements and ensure compliance. He/She researches, supports, and leads the integration of cloud technologies. This position leads team members with project related activities and tasks.
The UPS Capital Senior SQL Server Database Engineer identifies new areas for process improvements to enhance performance results. He/She verifies and delivers software to ensure compliance with standards. This position drives business continuity and disaster recovery design and planning activities to establish agreed upon requirements. He/She analyzes project requirements and customers’ expectations to identify and implement required tasks. This position provides technological guidance to project teams to ensure the quality of project deliverables.
- Translates business and functional requirements into technical design to meet stated business needs.
- Participates in technical architecture definitions to align solutions with business needs.
- Writes specifications using business requirements and logical and physical designs to enable coding.
- Responsible for system documentation to ensure accuracy and consistency when changes are made.
- Monitors the industry to gain knowledge and understanding of emerging technologies.
- Applies Disaster Recovery Knowledge: Creates disaster recovery plans for own environment and helps document procedures; plans and tests recovery procedures in a remote backup environment.
- Applies Foundation Architecture Knowledge: Demonstrates knowledge of the existence of foundation architecture standards; supports the need to adhere to standards; knows who to ask for information and guidance.
- Applies Internal Systems Knowledge: Applies in-depth knowledge of products, services, and internal systems; works cross functionally to understand and articulate internal business processes (e.g. system requirements, training) for internal systems; applies analytical skills and advances recommendations on alternative systems solutions with different cost / benefit equations and tradeoffs; coaches others in developing creative, workable solutions to complex system issues; coaches others in the development of logical business cases; evaluates impact of solution on service, cost, and quality.
- Assesses Business Needs: Identifies current and future needs of the customer or business; understands how business needs dictate the project’s requirements, project direction, business objectives, and resource allocation; makes recommendations on the solutions-design phase of the project.
- IT - Knowledge of Emerging Technology: Participates in evaluation of emerging industry technologies. Understands technologies' impact on current IT architectures and infrastructures.
- IT - Problem Management: Ensures that appropriate action is taken to investigate and resolve incidents and problems in systems and services. Ensures incidents and problems are fully documented within the relevant reporting system(s).
- IT - Processes, Methods, and Tools: Demonstrates proficiency in the use of several system and applications tools and related processes; recommends appropriate tools and processes to meet development and support needs; utilizes various tools to diagnose and resolve problems; prepares business cases for buy-versus-build decision making; integrates systems, applications, and processes.
- Project Risk Management: Develops and executes project risk management plans for basic projects of short duration requiring limited coordination and resources (e.g., less than 1 year, single business unit). Typically supports initiatives with well-defined project risk and cross-functional roles/responsibilities throughout the project life cycle. Dependent on functional SME’s to represent other areas of the business for planning, obtaining and managing project risks. Manages minimal organizational resistance to cross-functional risk demands. Can perform qualitative and quantitative risk analyses; develop risk responses and management strategies.
- Technical Problem Solving and Analytical Processes: Uses experience and appropriate tools to diagnose and manage complex problems. Revises and communicates changes to procedures when necessary and provides input on changes to the tools available for diagnosis. Provides recommendations for the resolution of complex technical problems. Participates and manages walk throughs, tests, and the execution of processes and applications in order to identify inefficiencies and deficiencies. Proposes solutions to improve processes and applications and to correct problems and improve efficiency. Makes agreed upon changes and reviews changes contributed by others on the team. Communicates resolution of problems to the appropriate audience in a timely fashion.
- Technology Knowledge: Leverages technological knowledge to achieve business objectives; resolves technological issues impeding work; adapts technological information, facts, or data to varying situations or groups; recommends changes to technological approach based upon knowledge of trends and best practices.
- Bachelor's Degree (or internationally comparable degree) – Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems, or related discipline – Preferred
- Experience demonstrating advanced skills in SQL language – Preferred
- Experience demonstrating intermediate skills in SQL Azure – Preferred
- Experience demonstrating entry level skills in MongoDB – Preferred
UPS is an equal opportunity employer – race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity